Dec 4, 2008

Making a public appearance

Well Lucy, yesterday your dad used you as a prop at a school presentation about Indians. The first-grader who asked me to come was our old neighbor, who wanted people to know that Indians don't run around in feathers and loincloths anymore and to prove it, she wanted me to come talk to her class... and bring you along in your cradleboard. Although the irony was probably lost on the kids that I brought you to show off traditional Indian childcare wearing a Ralph Lauren outfit and rolling into the classroom in a mod Dutch stroller!

It was a fun experience and the kids just ate it up when I showed them how I tie you into your cradleboard. One of the kids asked if it was made out of real jaguar skin, which made me laugh. After I got you tied in, I held you up in the board to look at the kids and asked them why they thought that Indians used cradleboards. "To carry their babies" and "keep their hands free while they did work" came up, but my personal favorite was "so when the Pilgrims attack, the baby is protected." Oh, those bloodthirsty Pilgrims!

You had a great time at the class, though. After the Thanksgiving holiday spent mesmerized by the blur of activity that is all your cousins, you enjoyed seeing all those kids and they enjoyed seeing you, too! A baby with less fortitude would have melted down ages ago, but you are doing admirably in keeping up with the rigorous public appearances that your parents drag you to. What can we say, we can't help but show you off!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Lucy, I was at your fabulous elementary school debut and I must say...a star you are! My favorite part of your performance was how you hold your little head up and look around when you are in your cradleboard while wearing a gigantic grin. Thanks for all your help in myth busting with your dad.