Feb 27, 2011

Daily inspiration: life

Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?

~ Mary Oliver
(from this blog)

I think about this all of the time. Am I using my time wisely? Does my life have purpose? Am I making the most of the opportunities and time that I have?

I have always wanted to help others, volunteer my time, speak another language, travel, create beautiful things, read more, dance more. Maybe write a book.

Lately, I feel mired down in child maintenance. I get that it is important - really important - to give you a strong start in life. But the endless stream of dishes and laundry and bedtime and potty breaks and diapers and (well, you get the picture) takes far more time and energy than I ever imagined. On the whole - parenting seems to take every bit of my energy and love - and then just a little bit more - so I'm left feeling like I am doing ok but still in the B+ range, not quite making the honor role just yet.

There is nothing significant left over for community volunteer jobs, contributing to solutions for world problems, or creative expression. Keeping up with my job and my love life is difficult. Extended family and friends get a morsel now and then but I'd give myself at C in those categories at best.

And the personal maintenance - makeup, wardrobe, remembering to shower every day - God help me, I'm getting a D-. The only thing saving me from a flat-out FAIL is that I do floss and brush every day. Thank goodness for oral hygiene.

Anyway - I am trying to do well with my wild and precious life. I guess right now that means spending it all on taking care of you.

No comments: