Apr 6, 2011

A not so Herculean task

Your dad decided to introduce you to the stories and characters in Greek mythology. Because everyone should know them all before they turn 3, right?

The big surprise to me is that you love these stories and want to hear them over and over. You talk about and draw pictures of things like Persephone and the underworld, Ballerophon and Pegasus, Pandora's box, Hercules and Cerberus, Zeus and Perseus and the rest of the crowd on Mount Olympus. You know exactly what a chimera is and that Medusa is the scariest gorgon. You know that Aphrodite came out of the sea and doesn't have a mother or father. You know that Poseiden is God of the sea and father of your beloved Tritan.

Say what what? You turn heads when you talk about these things in public. It sounds absolutely crazy coming out of your mouth - pronounced perfectly, even though you are little enough to still say "Wucy" instead of "Lucy."

I confess I have never been at one with the Greek Gods and felt tortured every time I had to study them in school. Thus, I don't love reading these books to you - especially when your dad selects them by artwork and not age-appropriate reading. Some of these are beyond verbose and take ages to read. "Oh, just paraphrase," your dad says. Yeah right - as if I know the stories well enough to do that. You certainly know the stories well enough to know when I'm making it up.

Oh well, I'm certainly learning something. Now I know that the goddess Athena could transform into an owl. It would be fun to make cousin Athena something with an owl on it.

No comments: