Apr 9, 2010

The first 6 weeks - siblings 21 months apart

I had a strong inkling that this first while was going to be tough. Every mother that I have talked to with kids 20-24 months apart has shared harsh warnings and sympathy - along with very few hints at smooth sailing until turning that first year mark.

The exception was Grandma Crow who tells me the first year with your dad and Jarrod (also 21 months apart) was wonderful. I was very encouraged by that - until I realized she experienced it with her mother, father, and teen sisters living next door! Sadly, her situation hardly compares to mine.

Well, the first six weeks have proven wonderful - but extremely challenging. Aside from adapting to the logistics of two versus one, the main problem is that I cannot leave the two of you alone together for a moment without fear of the baby being clobbered by his "loving" sister.

Lucy, you absolutely mean well and don't intentionally hurt Henry. You clearly love your brother and want to help out, but even your best attempts at being gentle break down after a few minutes and you could easily hurt Henry to a dangerous point. I think it is particularly problematic for us because you want to play with Henry more than anything or anyone else. If he us in the vicinity, you will not leave him alone. And the novelty does no seem to be wearing off.

I assume it will get better and you can someday be in the same room without monitoring, but literally 10 seconds could mean an emergency room visit right now.

Henry, you are starting to return some of the love. You have big smiles when Lucy is around and your hands shake with excitement when she clamors over you. It breaks down pretty quickly though and you both end up crying when loving kisses and hugs get a little too rough.

Sad situation indeed. Time will fix it but I am facing now that it may be several months before we get to a happy point where I can turn my back for a nanosecond. In the meantime, I continue to need a lot more babysitting help that I expected and your dad and I don't get much time to one another as we are often splitting you between us.

No comments: