Apr 10, 2013

BOOM!


Once upon a time, a writer for Murphy Brown wrote a single line of dialogue that changed my life.

I can't remember it exactly. It was a come back line said to some younger, sexier women who were belittling Murphy Brown, the heroine of the show. It was something like “Yes you are beautiful and young, but you know what?” (and this is the part I really remember) "I have an orgasm every time I have sex.”

(((( BOOM! ))))

My brain kind of exploded.

I did not even know what an orgasm was at the time, but just by the way she said it and the way the other women responded, I knew the remark meant something HUGE. And not too suprisingly, that something HUGE took me a while to figure out.

There is something more valuable to a woman than beauty and youth?

Expectations of sex can move beyond being desired?

Women are just as powerful and deserving as men?

Wow.

That is a whole lot of information for one line from a random TV show.

To note: your dad remembers the line too. (((( BOOM! ))))

I’m wondering if a bit of the proof in this article means we weren't the only ones. Did that one line start something HUGE for a lot of people?

I’m sharing this here just in case it does the same for you.

No comments: