Mar 8, 2014

"That sound good."

I LOVE your dad. He is amazing and wonderful in a million ways. Funny, lighthearted, hard working, great shoulders... (ick factor, I'll stop right there).

But I will tell you something. A meal planner, he aint. If I ever ask him what he wants to eat this week, his eyes kind of gloss over and I can see that train of thought going off into the distance like "food, eating, Red Robin, work, swimming, college, Legos, the Parthenon - wait, what was the question?"

So the MO has been, I think of some options to ask him about and he responds "that sounds good" and shows up to eat whatever I make without complaint.

The problem is: meal and grocery planning are not exactly my core strengths either. It is ok and I have learned to do it but it becomes tedious every single week.

A friend of me gave me a subscription menu service and that has worked OK, but we don't always love the food and it's either vegetarian or LOTS of meat and I'm kind of a "meat as flavoring" kind of person.

So, I'm trying to come up with 3 or 4 week-long menus that I can fall back on when I'm tired of thinking about it. They need to be kid-approved, simple, and health recipes. I'm thinking maybe going with Mexican week, Italian week, etc just so it's easier to use veggies and other groceries across several recipes. Especially since we don't have a pantry.

Our pantry looks nothing like this. Mostly, because WE DON'T HAVE a pantry.

With me so far?

Wait, I lost you a while ago? And you are just going to whine anyway?

Sigh. Now, I'm seeing why a solution for my problem is not easy to find across the vast internets.

Let's just go get some pizza.

No comments: