Aug 5, 2015

The mother that Mormonism is missing


There is a lot of discussion in Mormonism right now about women's roles. Some women want to know why they can't have the priesthood and take on the roles that men are ordained to. Many men and women are concerned about sexism and want to see changes that address masogyny.

I am interested in the discussion but I am not passionate about it. The church has a path and will make course corrections as it has done in the past. I am looking forward to some very much needed changes that will hopefully come in time.

But the changes I am hoping for are hard to put into words because they are BIG.

The female that I feel is missing from our religion is not connected to the priesthood or really, anything that happens inside a church building or temple. She is Mother Nature.

She is the butterfly, the eagle, the salmon, the lamprey.

Water is sacred. Air is sacred.

She cares more about our communities and relationships than she cares about our individual choices. One person's choice to smoke, steal, or lie is not nearly as important as a whole community that relies on a power source that is polluting the environment for everyone.

She is our mother. We are in her home. And as a whole, we are not very good house guests.

This is a holy Mormon temple. It is a place that I have an unusual relationship with (for a Mormon that is). I felt from the beginning, that it was not the place for my passion and my work.


But the world's splendor is Her church. The river is Her temple. And it has become mine.


(Looks like the video was taken down. I think this is the same one here:
http://www.disclose.tv/action/viewvideo/158947/We_Are_All_One__An_Inspiring_Short_Film_To_Watch/)

No comments: