Feb 17, 2009

Moo!

It turns out I'm a good dairy cow, producing more rich, creamy milk than you've ever wanted. People say this is a good thing as it can be hard for moms and babies who don't have enough. But after 3 bouts of mastitis and numerous plugged ducts, I have experienced the downside to copious production and believe me, it's overrated.

At this point, I have amassed quite a supply of milk in the freezer. Trouble is, you have never really taken to the bottle and usually just wait for me to get home to drink your milk straight from the source. And now that you're into solid food, you are finding that there are all kinds of yummy things better than bottled milk. Thus, a lot of milk has been thawed, rejected and wasted or expired, still in the freezer.

So, today I emptied out most of our supply, giving it to a friend of a friend with twins who are not thriving as you have. Now two more cute, little people are living off these boobs. Maybe overproduction isn't so bad after all.

2 comments:

Erin said...

I didn't know you had done this! How fabulous that you were able to put it to such good use! Share the love.

Margaret said...

Yup - the babies have doubled their milk intake already. I'm so happy about it and relieved I didn't do all that pumping for nothing. : )