Feb 23, 2009

Old friends and new friends

There is just nothing in the world like old friends! You and I spent the weekend in Seattle with two of my oldest friends - girls that I've known since before I can remember. 

Barbara and Erin went through it all with me: all the sweet and hideous fashion trends; years of trick-or-treating and delivering valentines; youth camps and sleepovers; school dances and double dates; first kisses and heart breaks; family ups and downs...and all the amazing times in between. We share some of our earliest, best and worst memories. They've seen my ugliest hairdos and know all my darkest secrets. I KNOW these girls through and through - and I love them completely. Also, I'm pretty much indebted to them for life. I'm sure I wouldn't be who I am now if it weren't for them.

It was amazing and wonderful to see them and catch up on the years that we've been apart. The memories of all of our adventures together poured in and we couldn't stop talking. Barbara and Erin are both pregnant right now and we all have young families. We've changed in different ways but we still have a lot in common. Oh how I wish they lived closer!

Here we are on a 5th grade field trip to meet our penpals from west SLC. Erin and I earned the twin outfits cleaning windows for her mom. Barbara is the first one on the left with the very 80's bangs and side braid - oh yeah! I would definitely have chosen the same hairdo if I could have managed the necessary sculpting skills.
Here we are this weekend. Note the tired faces: we stayed up LATE both nights talking. ...and together in the latest fashion trend - we all bought hats at H&M.
Along with Barbara, Erin, Clay and Koen, you also made a new, furry friend. You were very entertained with Oscar and squawked every time he left the room.
I am so grateful that I grew up with such amazing people. All in all - there were about a dozen of us boys and girls the same age in our neighborhood. Most of us lived there all through high school so we really got to grow up together. It was an ideal youth and a wonderful gift from my parents and the fates. If we can help you have even one such friend, you will be very lucky indeed.

So here's to Barbs and Erin - and Kim, Emily, Tami, Lindsey, Carli, and all the others that I haven't seen in way too long. I love you guys. Thank you for all the great memories. I will be happy to have you call or stop by any time!

2 comments:

troyandbarbs said...

Oh the memories... It really is amazing that we have truly known each other our whole lives. I only wish we lived closer now. Love the 5th grade picture. It was so fun meeting Lucy and spending a weekend in Seattle. We'll have to make it a tradition. Miss you already

Margaret said...

Yes. That photo is great and your hair is "totally rad."

I wish I had a photo of the whole neighborhood gang but I don't think I do. Anyone have the sweet photo we took in high school in the chambray shirts?