Nov 7, 2012

For your 4 and a half birthday? A broken TV.

Hey Lucy lou,

It's been a tough month with you. You have not been liking me very much. Those limits we set: not your friends. That rigid schedule we live by: not so fun. Those boring tasks we have to do every day: torture. Those groceries we buy instead of toys: lousy. Why oh why can't we just give you everything you want all of the time? Life could be eating candy, shopping for barbies, and watching TV all the time, right?

Well, wrong. Even though you glimpse that possibility, it's just not going to happen. And that makes you MAD. At me. Because apparently I am the one standing in the way of a life of bliss.

See this dynamic. It is awful.

I don't know if it's like this for other 4 and a half year olds? Do they all see so clearly the possibilities? Do they all blame mom?

We had to change something. It just can't be me in your way anymore.

So, we started with the TV. And it has been "Broken" for 2 weeks now. You immediately asked questions about using the iPad, phone, etc so we are just barely getting away with this. But it is helping. A bit. More changes are probably coming as we sort this out.

I love you so much. I even love your hedonistic, embrace the joys of the world, side. But I am not the bank of resources and pleasures you think I am. I am not the best friend. I am definitely not the all-knowing, powerful master of your fate.

I'm just your mom.

Who loves you very much.

So much that I want to encourage your personal growth and friendships and intelligence and service and all the sides of your dynamic and developing self.

Loving you means encouraging the best in you. And making sure you brush your teeth. And setting limits on TV and candy.

Your love for me requires some trust that I really do have your best interests at heart.

I really hope we figure this out before you are 5. And definitely before you are 15.

No comments: