Nov 16, 2012

Solamente en Español por favor

We have a new nanny this week. Karelys is from Cuba and speaks about 50 words of English. These words do not include hot cocoa, nap time, diaper, or pretty much most of the words you depend on - las palabras necesitamos en nuestra casa. The language divide is HUGE.

Three days in, we are all still struggling a bit. My high school Spanish is coming back in bits and pieces, filling in the gaps with Spanglish. Often, I've asked ¿No son palabras? - "Those aren't words?" and she laughs and nods yes. And I keep adding Spanish words into English conversations plus the odd Norwegian word appearing out of nowhere in both. Clearly my brain is working overtime trying to sort things out.

Hopefully your young, pliant brains will be adapting faster than my old, crusty one.

Why Spanish? ¿Por qué, este desafío?

Everywhere we go – literally Every Where We Go – people are speaking Spanish. The co-op. The library. Stores. Restaurants. Parks. It is a beautiful language and tied to some rich cultures I'd like our family to be a part of.

Will this work?  No sé. I don't know

Is this crazy?  Probablemente. Probably.

I guess we will see in another week or so. Que será, será as they say. 

Te amo, mis hijos. Muchos & muchos.

1 comment:

Deb said...

Wow!! So exciting! I hope it works...what a great opportunity! Love you guys!

XO