Aug 23, 2014

Nonna Bruna

At most houses, knocking on the door will only get you a treat one day out of the year.

But two doors down from our house, Bruna's house is open for every-day-of-the-year, trick-or-treating. Stop by with a flower or a smile and come in for homemade biscotti, cookies, or ripe fruit. Drink it down with delicious whole milk and head on home with a chocolate in your pocket for later.

I love the ritual you have created, taking her something and bringing something home. It is an exchange of friendship and love, and it comes with a lot of sweet hugs and greetings of "Ciao coco."
I've tried many and Bruna hugs are the very BEST
Bruna is a special woman with an amazing story. She moved here from Italy pregnant, not knowing English, having no family close by (other than her husband and son), and almost no possessions. "Ma-ga-ret, not even a spoon. I didn't have a spoon!" I imagine her first years here were beyond any difficulty I have lived through. She had to build a new life, care for her children, and nurse back to health a husband who had been nearly worked to death in a forced labor camp during World War II.

She and Victor were here when we moved in and I am very sad to say Victor died many years ago. It is obvious that she still misses him every day. Together, they radiated love and happiness. Knowing them as newlyweds no doubt helped us see the potential in marital unity.

Now, Bruna is 91! She still takes care of her garden and cooks almost constantly for her clan of sons and their families.

YUMMMMMMMMM
Today, the treats are for me. Fresh takings from Bruna's beautiful garden. AND, she told me I look like a teenager in my new dress!
Of course she is lying, but boy do I feel great!
I am so inspired by this woman. And grateful to have her living so nearby.

Martha Beck wrote about finding mothering beyond biological parents when and where you need it.
"Commit to finding people who can offer you acceptance, nourishment, instruction and empowerment...though all mothers are limited, the force of motherhood is not. It surrounds us every day, in all sorts of guises, some predictable and ordinary, some startling and extraordinary. If you allow yourself to embrace it, I guarantee you'll find it waiting to embrace you."
I liked the idea before I had children and even more now when I am a mother. I DO care passionately about mothering you and want to do my very best. But not everything I do will be good for you. Not everyone of your mothering needs will be met by me.

So, I wish you many Bruna's and Victor's. They are around and well worth seeking out. And if you are extremely lucky, one might just come with homemade biscotti!

Love you,
Mama

No comments: