Jan 31, 2011

Out with the old...

A size of clothing, some unloved toys, 3 spools of ribbon, a box of permanent markers that little hands can open.

And it goes on and on and on through every room in the house - books, movies, unfinished projects, strappy shoes. You name it, STUFF we don't use is in the way of our LIVING.

And it makes sense. Just about everything in my life has changed over the last 3 years. A lot of my belongings are from the old me - the one who had time to sew and energy to go clubbing. I have been washed up on a new shore that is FAMILY and it's time to let some things go and move on.

If someone told me this much change was coming my way, I might have felt some amazing panic. But somewhere along the line, it just happened and it is ok. I am accepting of it. And I am ready to move on and forward.

I have seen the dangers of the alternative; my father is a true HOARDER. Not kidding - he is certifiable. He could fill a room with sewing machines. And one with blenders. And one with a glaucoma tester, a personal sauna, 20 pairs of roller skates and an 800 lb printer. And probably a whole house with computers.

Still not kidding.

For years, I have watched him choose stuff over people, and fantasies over real life. The consequences are tragic. For example - he doesn't know you. He doesn't even know me.

No - I don't want that. I want our life to be about people, not stuff. I want our life to be focused on family and spending time together. We need space in our lives for the things that bring us together and help us connect with our friends and extended family. The rest is just junk.

So what do I do with all of these useless treasures? Ugh - cleaning everything out is a lot of work and it is emotionally exhausting to let go of the dreams I had when accumulating the stuff in the first place.

I've been migrating things to my office to get them out of the way and it is now a MESS.

The attic is another dumping ground and needs a massive sort and purge.

So, here's the deal.

Would you guys just hold still for about 6 or 8 hours while I get stuff sorted?

At least sleep through most of the night so I'm not dead-gone exhausted at 8:30 p.m.?

Yeah, well I didn't really think so. I think this is going to take a while.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yes! Less stuff, less space, more LIFE (a motto I often remind myself of). I did a massive purge last summer...literally 50% of our stuff donated or sold on craigslist! And it's overwhelming at first, but trust me, once you get into the thick of it and realize just how much junk you didn't know you had, you become truly indifferent to each successive object....it gets amazingly easier with each box!

And it feels OH SO GOOD when you're done! May the force be with you! Wish I was there to help!