May 24, 2013

What's better than unicorn blood?


Henry,

Your eczema has been such a baffling condition to handle. I have cried more than once and gotten unsolicited and terrible advice about it more times than you can possibly image. And I've tried just about every ludicrous option people have told me about. The guilt and the shame of not being able to fix it has been awful! And your poor skin!! I have spent hours dousing you with chemicals to try to stop it. Some of the things we have tried:
  • Tubs of vaseline (messy)
  • Eucerine (expensive and messy)
  • Steroid cream (oh, the guilt!!)
  • Extra strength steroid cream (Ack! guilt X 5000)
  • Emu oil (cha-ching)
  • Yak's oil (P.U.)
  • Lanolin lotion (you hate it)
  • Aveeno lotion (meh, doesn't quite work)
  • Olive oil (gets everywhere, leaves everything smelling like food)
  • Coconut oil (greasier and messier than everything else put together)
  • Gluten-free diet (pure desperation, absolutely no scientific evidence to support this)
And after all this? Still awful! Still itchy! Still cracked and bleeding! Now with me yelling facedown into a pillow (loose translation: "why doesn't this expensive/messy/stinky stuff f@$ing work?! I hate your doctor! Die eczema die! GAH!!!!!")

Honestly, I was getting desperate. We're talking one step away from black market healing crystals and fresh unicorn blood.

But hooray!!!!!!!!!!!!! We have finally found something that works. And I'm so happy that I want to declare my love for it from the mountaintops (or at least on the Internets). I think I will build a shrine for in the living room so it can spin, suspended in soft lighting, to impress all who enter into our abode.

Thank you O'Keeffe's Working Hands! Thank you Martha Stewart for recommending it. Thank you Jeremy for paying attention to the domestic goddess and reading that advice. We tried it on the eczema out of pure desperation at the last painful and bleeding outbreak on your adorable neck. And it's working! Really, really working! I'm so happy I could cry.

And phew. I guess we don't have to kill that unicorn after all.

xoxoxo,
Mama

No comments: