Jun 15, 2014

A day for cherishing fathers

I can't decide if it is terrible, or fitting, that your dad is finalizing the design for papa's grave marker today. We will be placing it this July, on the anniversary of his death.
It's definitely fitting that we are thinking about Papa. He continues to have a big fathering presence in your life as – to your dad – he still defines much of what a father should be: solid, constant, loving, forever teaching, and fun!
Yesterday, he taught you another of Papa's games - the two-finger money grab. To win, you have to catch a dollar bill with two fingers as it is dropped through them. Since the bill is released so slowly that neither party knows when it will fall, it is almost impossible to catch unless by complete luck. Papa used to play it with the kids on payday with a $100 bill! Apparently, Jamie won once - so maybe you'll catch some money this way after all.
Choosing the perfect dad for my children was a little like that game. Who knows how I did it, but I sure caught the bill by choosing your dad. Marrying him is the best parenting decision I have ever made.

You both love him so much and show it often. There is nothing sweeter than watching you run to him as he comes home. Or seeing things that you have made for him.
I am also thinking of my own father.
And of my mother's father who went to war when she was 5 and died when she was 8.
Dad's are an amazing thing. And I think you got the best one of all.
Love,
Mama

No comments: