Jun 7, 2014

Dear Millie,

Happy birthday! What are you up to today? I wish we could celebrate with you.

I feel sadness living so far away from you. I want to be one of your crazy neighbors. I want to be a person that works on projects with you. Or at least one of those people can just stop by to see you on a whim. What a luxury!!
Probably around the time you talked mom and dad into a sleepover
and then took me and Erin Briggs to get donuts. I'll never forget that.
And I am still sorry that we lost so many years with you. There was some compartmentalizing of relationships during those years. I worked on things with other siblings and mom. And mostly on me and my marriage. And it was good to have space to do that. I had a lot of growing up to do.  I did not have the skills to respond to your truth and your anger (I had to go along way to acknowledge my own!). But I missed you. Nothing was the same without you. I am so grateful for your forgiveness and acceptance of my faults that I am sure is still not easy.
In the era of matching shirts, the family band, the house expansion,
a room full of roller skates, bird-filled trees and boat trips.
What I do have with you transcends any regrets. I am so grateful for the childhood memories. For the fun we always have when you are around. For you coming here! For the clothes and doodads you have handed down to our kids that remind me constantly of you. For the wonderful example you set as a mother. For the insights you casually dole out that (you probably don't know) help me EVERY day.
At Grandma's funeral - I was so happy to have us all together again.
Siblings in college and adult life felt a little bit like abandonment.
Do you understand that your words have had a big impact on my life? You can see things and you can say things that cut to the truth. It is not easy and it is not a common skill. I am amazed by it. And hope you realize just how unique and helpful your perspective can be to our family and those around you.
LA! Ginger! George! To me, you were EXOTIC! 
With such strong essence, even our limited time has had a huge impact on my life. I think of you often and I love you very, very much.
No doubt, making us laugh at one of dad's weddings. 
For better or worse, yours is one of the strongest voices in my head. And I see it as a "better." I think you have made me better. And I am so grateful for that.
See that look? That is pure love and ADORATION.
And your artistic perspective and talents amaze me! I am so proud of you!!! You have accomplished great things!!! How do you do it??? Where does your pool of ideas come from??? Could your kids be any more wonderful????? No, I don't think so.
Your girls!!!! Scenes like this make me so happy!
It is such an honor to be your sister. I'm excited to see what comes next for you. And help if I can (Yes - I really want to!).

Love and happiness that I will see you soon,

Margaret

1 comment:

Will said...

I am very grateful for my sisters. I was raised kinda like a doll in my mind some times, being dressed up and played with.... but I am forever glad that I had my older sisters (and little bro and sis too), who taught me so many things.